Spring cleaning is an important part of home maintenance. But it does far more than keep your home clean. When you spring clean, you’re improving your mental and physical health by strengthening your immune system, decreasing stress and depression and preventing illness. Plus, cleaning your windows will increase their lifespan and ensure your home looks great inside and out!
It’s recommended to clean desert windows twice a year – once in the spring and once in the fall. Now that spring is here, it’s a great time to get dust and debris off your windows. We’ll show you the best ways to do this!
Why Window Cleaning is Important
Keeping your windows clean is an important part of window maintenance. By avoiding dirty windows, you can prevent window damage, protect indoor air quality and maintain your home’s efficiency. Make sure that you clean the tracks when you clean the glass. In fact, the tracks get dirty fastest, so you should be wiping them down on a regular basis.
The benefits of window cleaning are:
- Ensure your windows operate properly
- Prevent window damage
- Take inventory of anything that has changed
- Remove buildup on the windows
- Boost curb appeal
- Let in more natural light
- Protect energy efficiency
How to Clean Windows in the Desert
To remove the dusty, oily film on your windows, you can clean them on your own or hire a professional window cleaning company. Obviously, doing things on your own will save you money. At the end of the day, it’s not important who cleans your windows but rather that they are cleaned.
If you plan to wash the windows yourself, you can buy a window cleaning kit at the store or online, or you can make your own solution using vinegar or dish soap. We recommend using a squeegee instead of a rag or towel because it won’t streak. Keep the rag handy though. You can use it to wipe out the window sills, edges and corners.
Here are some tips for the best results:
- Wash your windows when they’re not in direct sun. Sunbaked glass dries the cleaning solution faster than the squeegee, which will leave behind streaks.
- Softened water works best. This means it’s best to get the water from your home rather than the garden hose.
- Choose a high quality squeegee with a wide blade for the best results.
- Use vertical strokes on the exterior and horizontal strokes on the interior. Also, wipe excess water from the squeegee blade after each pass to prevent streaking.
Cleaning windows is not a job that most people like to do, but it has to be done. When you do, you’ll be able to enjoy the natural light coming through your windows and enhance your home’s curb appeal. It really is a simple and inexpensive way to improve the look of your home inside and out. And, you’ll be extending the lifespan of your windows in the process!