Exterior French doors are renowned for their timeless elegance, classic design and ability to seamlessly blend indoor and outdoor spaces. These doors are characterized by their multiple glass panels, separated by wooden or metal mullions. This allows plenty of light to pass through, making French doors a popular choice for connecting the indoors and outdoors.
If you are thinking about installing French doors in your Phoenix home, it helps to know which doors are best and why. Below is everything you need to know about French doors and why they are a top choice for AZ homeowners.
What are French Doors?
French doors originated in France during the 17th century. They allow an abundance of light into the home and also feature stylish grille patterns. Some key features of these doors include a double door design, glass panels, mullions and grilles, various materials, privacy options and operable or fixed-in-place panels.
Types of French Doors
As you plan for new French doors, it’s helpful to know what types of designs are available. There are several great options based on your home’s unique needs and your preferences and budget.
- Double-hinged French door. These doors have two panels that part in the middle. Both panels may be operable, or one may be operable and the other fixed. Double-hinged doors can swing in or out, and you can pick from several grille styles.
- Single-hinged French door. Although less popular, this type of French door is a good option when you’re working with limited wall space. The door can either swing in or out, depending on your preferences. Single-hinged French doors are best for kitchens or bedrooms.
- Sliding French door. Also known as multi-slide patio doors, sliding French doors have various panels that may be operable or fixed. You can even opt for pocket installation, which means the door disappears into the wall completely.
French Door Materials
Once you select the type of French door that you want, it’s time to pick your materials. The main concern in Arizona is the heat, and door materials can take a beating from the sun. Fiberglass is a top choice because it’s durable and strong, and it will allow you to create a comfortable home year-round. Other choices to consider include vinyl and wood. Keep in mind that wood can peel, blister and warp in the sun, so be prepared to maintain its finish.
Benefits of Exterior French Doors
Exterior French doors can be customized in many different ways, from modern and traditional styles to built-in blinds and various grille patterns. Here are some of the key benefits of these doors:
- Timeless aesthetics. French doors have a timeless appeal, adding a touch of classic elegance to any home.
- Abundance of light. French doors are designed to maximize natural light, making them an ideal choice for brightening up interior spaces.
- Seamless indoor-outdoor living. One of the standout features of exterior French doors is their ability to blur the line between indoor and outdoor living spaces. This seamless integration is perfect for entertaining guests or simply appreciating your surroundings.
- Versatile design options. Exterior French doors come in a wide range of styles, sizes and materials, allowing homeowners to choose options that suit their preferences and home decor.
- Enhanced security and energy efficiency. Modern exterior French doors are equipped with advanced security features, including multi-point locking systems and toughened glass, ensuring the safety of your home.
Exterior French doors are not just functional; they are a statement of elegance and sophistication. Whether you’re renovating your home or building a new one, consider the timeless beauty and versatility of exterior French doors. Schedule an in-home consultation with Greco Roman Construction and Design to explore your options.